Monkey Pickles

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Big Wheels

These wonderful childhood toys got most kids moving along faster than walking for the first time. Very colorful and first time most of us tried to customize or trick out tool of mobility. Placing little streamers all over the place finding something to splash some color on etc. I remember how fun it was to get a bunch of fellow buddies together for a parking lot ride, or playing big wheel smash up slamming into each other. now they have slightly larger ones that adults use to have fun with. If you lose your inner kid then life becomes slower and boring. I give my hats off to Big Kid Big Wheel riders. You weren't a serious big wheel rider until your front tire was all split up. Here is some fun history on these mobile fascinations.

History of...

A Big Wheel is a type of tricycle, usually made of plastic, with an over sized front wheel, that rides very low to the ground. Introduced by Louis Marx and Company in 1969, the Big Wheel was a very popular toy in the 1970s in the United States, partly because of its low cost and partly because consumer groups said it was a safer alternative to the traditional tricycle or bicycle.

The design was quickly imitated, under a variety of brand names. Although Big Wheel was a registered trademark, it was frequently used as a generic name for any toy whose design resembled that of Marx. Marx sold the Big Wheel brand name and molds in the early 1970s to Empire Plastics, makers of the Power Cycle brand, which was Marx's biggest competitor.

By the late 1990s, few manufacturers were making these toys, and Empire filed for bankruptcy in 2001. The Big Wheel brand was reintroduced under new ownership in 2003.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Wheel

So I must say let your fascination with these things a start all over again.
Here is a lovely video original 1970's commercial. My only funny little notice is what is up with the cat ? how does that relate to having fun with Big Wheels?



Monkey Pickles T-Shirts (Goofball Gear)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh yes... Big Wheels. (sad face) I never could get one... LOL I'd try to ride my cousins' Big Wheels, but I was always so tall, that my knees would scrap around the handle bars! LOL (I'm not a giant, but I was awkwardly tall as a kid...LOL I'm actually only 5'7, but I feel like I've been about 5'6 or 5'7 for the last 20 years!) Anyway, fun blog! LOL check me out!

    ReplyDelete